Free Skins
© Fisana

Toggle shoutbox Dragon City Central Shoutbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

Please keep media spamming (pictures, videos, sounds, smiles, etc) to a minimum, in the shoutbox so it does not interrupt others or flood the screen.

@  Fae : (23 July 2014 - 04:49 AM) as others said, it seems it was removed with the end of the Viking Island, probably a mistake
@  Rachael : (23 July 2014 - 01:41 AM) :lurk:
@  Walcha18 : (22 July 2014 - 11:08 PM) Just one more inexplicable, user-unfriendly effort to be wondered at.
@  Walcha18 : (22 July 2014 - 11:02 PM) Tku Rachael. It seems they removed it half-way through the offer time.
@  Walcha18 : (22 July 2014 - 11:01 PM) Hi All!
@  Rachael : (22 July 2014 - 10:46 PM) :lurk:
@  Devin : (22 July 2014 - 08:18 PM) :ph34r:
@  Icetex : (22 July 2014 - 07:07 PM) @ArleneDiosdadoBoese i reply to your pm to me
@  Rachael : (22 July 2014 - 06:25 PM) @Walcha18 I don't have an offer for Stressed Dragon on my phone
@  Rachael : (22 July 2014 - 06:22 PM) :lurk:
@  Fae : (22 July 2014 - 04:20 PM) ... and logging in on Windows tells me I have no combats left, now this is getting interesting / annoying :(
@  Fae : (22 July 2014 - 04:14 PM) ... so, anybody else not able to do any battles? The moment I click a combattant, I get the message to reload the game, both on android and iOS
@  Fae : (22 July 2014 - 04:14 PM) I think I got it as well, playing on android at the time, but the offer was gone very quickly
@  Walcha18 : (22 July 2014 - 02:24 PM) @GameMasterA: are you on iOS?
@  GameMasterA : (22 July 2014 - 12:29 PM) I got Stressed dragom
@  Fae : (22 July 2014 - 11:31 AM) guess one of their stressed admins needed it to unwind ....
@  Walcha18 : (22 July 2014 - 10:14 AM) Stressed Dragon Combo is still missing. Does anyone on iOS still have it on their screen, please?
@  Walcha18 : (22 July 2014 - 07:45 AM) There has to be something--their blog administrator said that they were taken away for a reason.
@  Walcha18 : (22 July 2014 - 07:30 AM) Congratulations! Did they polish it up? Add air-conditioning?!
@  Balgruff : (22 July 2014 - 07:25 AM) Hmm.. my Dungeon isle is back

Photo
- - - - -

Virtual Card Game Discussion

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
26 replies to this topic

#1 Ashley

Ashley

Site Owner & Server Host

• Administrators
  • 1,216 posts

Posted 25 August 2012 - 01:43 PM

Earlier, the idea of a Virtual Trading Card game for exclusive use on our site was brought up. This idea is widely supported but we haven't made much progress. This topic is going to be dedicated to compiling data and getting the game/cards figured out.

Here's what I have so far (compiling data from the original topic).

--->

Cards will be purchasable through Dragon Credits and receiveable through special offers/events/what have you. We are not sure if we are using Dragon City dragons, our own dragons that we create, or a mix of both yet. Need discussion on this.

There will be 5 types of cards:

1) Dragon Cards
2) Habitat Cards
3) Restoration Cards
4) Support Cards
5) Food Cards

Gameplay / Card Info:

-Habitat cards offer effects. Small habitats affect the user, large affect both players (enhance, weaken, etc.)

-Restoration cards restore HP.

-Support cards offer buffs, more dragon variety, etc. (Breeding Mountain lets you summon all types of hybrids. Breeding tree lets you summon them sooner. Boosts increase damage. )

-Food levels dragons.

Two players, each start with 8,000 HP. Once one reaches 0, game is over.

Each player has three phases:

1) Summon Phase: Summon a Dragon.
2) Support Phase: Use buffs or summon a hybrid dragon.
3) Battle Phase: Attack the enemy.

Each Dragon Card has 4 attacks... baby only has 2 of these attacks, teen has a 3rd, adult has a 4th?

Gameplay - we need to discuss things in RED.

1) Deck is 20-40 cards, players can make their own decks. 5 cards per hand to start. If player has less than 5, one card is added to the hand from the deck each turn. Limit of 1 pure/legend card. Any other limits? A hand can never exceed 5 cards.

**There will be starter packs available. Fire Pack, Water Pack, Plant Pack, Earth Pack or Electric Pack. These will have 10 cards of the same element, 3 habitat cards, 10 support, 2 restoration, 5 food cards.

1) You start in the DRAW PHASE to draw a card if 5 cards aren't in your hand, then you enter the SUMMON PHASE where you summon a baby dragon card if you have one in your hand. This can be a basic dragon only? As for cards of higher 'evolution', these shouldn't be in the hand but should replace any baby dragon when enough food has been given?

**Only 5 dragons can be in play at the same time.

After summoning this baby, we skip support phase on turn 1 but we go to battle stage? Or should we have to wait a turn after summoning before the dragon can attack?

2) Player 2 repeats the above.

3) On second turn, player enters summon stage again. At this point, can he or she summon ANY baby dragon or must it be a certain type? And then the player enters support stage and battle stage.

When a card is used from the hand, should it be replaced by another card automatically so there is always 5 cards in the hand? Or should the player, for example, gain 1 card from the deck each turn (but have cards that allow the player to draw more cards from the deck?)

Where are food cards used? Can these be used at any time during a specific stage? Is there a limit to how many cards can be used per turn?

I played a game called Shadow Era (card game) which used a 'resources' system/sacrifice system. The player could sacrifice a card from the hand and make it unusable and gain 1 resource for that card. Each card costed some amount of resources to use and so how many cards could be used depended on how many resources (how many sacrificed cards) were available.

We shouldn't copy systems from other games, but we might want to add some system to limit the amount of cards used and add a strategy aspect to the game.

Discussion is needed.

We also need to figure out a damage scale and HP scale. Dragons have HP in a tier system similar to that in the game. How much damage does each dragon do per attack?

How many dragons can be out at one time (on the playing field)? One or more than one? In this case, should dragons be able to be attacked as well as the player? This way, players can remove other dragons on the field and focus on attacking the other player after...

CARD LIST

None so far.

Edited by Ashley, 29 August 2012 - 10:27 PM.

#2 Emily

Emily

Cloud Dragon

• Members
  • 85 posts

Posted 25 August 2012 - 11:33 PM

1) The maximum cards a deck can have should be 40, minimum is 20.

1) And there should be a DRAW PHASE, if you don't have 5 cards, you draw one BEFORE you summon a dragon.

1) Players Should be able to make their own decks. At first, you can choose either Fire Pack, Water Pack, Plant Pack, Earth Pack or Electric Pack. Each of these packs contain 10 cards of their own elements, 3 cards of their own habitats, 5 food cards, 2 restoration cards and 10 different support cards.

1) Rules? The maximum is 40, so no deck can exceed the maximum of 40 cards. And maybe legendary/pure cards are forbidden to only 1 card each level. So that it is more fair.

1.5) You can only summon a basic dragon, if you have a hybrid in your hand and no basics, you can summon that card but you must remove a card in your hand. If You have both a basic and hybrid in your hand, you can remove the basic and summon that hybrid card. If you already put a basic dragon on the field and you have a hybrid on your hand, you must wait for the next turn to remove the basic dragon and replace it with the hybrid. Note that you must have at least one of the elements of the hybrid. For three elements, you must have two elements of the three element hybrid.

I'll edit this when i get ideas.
Hello!
I am Emily.

Current Updates :
• Dragons : Fossil Dragon, only available from Dragon Potions Game!
• Buildings/Decorations : —
• Others : —

Last Updates :
• Dragons : Pure Water and Pure Plant Dragons!
• Buildings/Decorations : Pure Water and Pure Plant Habitats!
• Others : —

FULL Eggs List :

#3 Libby

Libby

Spicy Dragon

• Members
  • 234 posts

Posted 26 August 2012 - 04:03 AM

We also need to figure out a damage scale and HP scale. Do Dragons have HP or does just the player have HP? Then, how much damage does each dragon do per attack?

How many dragons can be out at one time (on the playing field)? One or more than one? In this case, should dragons be able to be attacked as well as the player? This way, players can remove other dragons on the field and focus on attacking the other player after...

I have a record of collecting trading cards and playing online trading card games. I have over 2,500 yugioh cards. It dosn't mean anything though. In the Yu-Gi-Oh world the monsters have an attack that basically represents their life but dosn't go down unless a spell/trap or an effect of another activates. I also have experience with Pokemon Trading cards can they have the life right on the card next to the name. They could also have up to 3 attacks. (from what I have seen) Very similar to everything you are talking about. I just never sat down and understood how to play the game >.>

I will stop with my ramblings and tell what I have for ideas:
The baby dragons should have up to 1000 HP no matter the dragon.
The Teen dragons should have up to 2500 HP no matter the dragon.
The Adult dragons should have up to 3500 HP no matter the dragon.

Normally in any trading card game such as Magic, Yu Gi Oh, Pokemon, Bakugan, Chaotic. You can send out more than one monster (referring to yugioh). In one virtual card game that I played I had up to 12 cards on the field (i can no longer play that game T_T). I would recommend the highest amount of monster cards out on the field to be 3 - 5 (referring to pokemon and yugioh). In pokemon you can send up to 3 pokemon on the field. In yugioh it is 5. In magic i think it is 5 9haven't played in forever).

These are just ideas and I am sorry if i have confused you in any way. I am just a really big anime nerd and I know lots about this kind of thing.
:D
Posted Image :D
Posted Image Izaya Orihara ~ <3
Sorry I got rid of the Arakune but you can find it here along with my art: http://masternekoboy.deviantart.com/
Spoiler

#4 Ethan

Ethan

Plant Dragon

• Members
  • 140 posts

Posted 26 August 2012 - 03:20 PM

Ill do any sort of card designing you need me to do, you name it i make it
Posted Image

No longer visit this site!
Live long and prosper

#5 TheToxic

TheToxic

Ultimate Dragon

• Awarders
  • Others: DC Experts, Members
  • 249 posts

Posted 26 August 2012 - 03:37 PM

Can you make a Mirror Dragon Card? :)
Posted Image
Posted Image

#6 Ashley

Ashley

Site Owner & Server Host

• Administrators
  • 1,216 posts

Posted 26 August 2012 - 07:24 PM

I've put some of this in the main post.

1.5) You can only summon a basic dragon, if you have a hybrid in your hand and no basics, you can summon that card but you must remove a card in your hand. If You have both a basic and hybrid in your hand, you can remove the basic and summon that hybrid card. If you already put a basic dragon on the field and you have a hybrid on your hand, you must wait for the next turn to remove the basic dragon and replace it with the hybrid. Note that you must have at least one of the elements of the hybrid. For three elements, you must have two elements of the three element hybrid.

Interesting idea. Let's discuss this a little more, though. Will this apply at all times? This idea came up: the breeding mountain will allow summoning of hybrids, but that makes gameplay a little harder. So this idea is nice but maybe breeding mountain can take off this sacrificial requirement.

The baby dragons should have up to 1000 HP no matter the dragon.
The Teen dragons should have up to 2500 HP no matter the dragon.
The Adult dragons should have up to 3500 HP no matter the dragon.

So we shouldn't implement a "tier" system like the one that exists in the game? Other opinions?

I would recommend the highest amount of monster cards out on the field to be 3 - 5 (referring to pokemon and yugioh). In pokemon you can send up to 3 pokemon on the field. In yugioh it is 5. In magic i think it is 5 9haven't played in forever).

I agree with the limit. We'll put it at 5 for now.

A good start would be to get a template to use for the cards. Then the various features can be put on the template.

#7 Sharky

Sharky

Mud Dragon

• Members
  • 45 posts

Posted 27 August 2012 - 03:56 AM

I personally think that we should use a mix of in game dragons as well as our own dragons as the point of this site is to be about the FB game. If we make up our own dragons though, we need to be careful they don't get too ridiculous or overpowered. However, I know we have a lot of creativity floating around this site and I would hate to hold that back :)

I think there should be a tier system. Might make it a bit more complicated, but let's face it - some dragons are stronger than others. What is the point of having a legendary if they don't have more health to show for it?

I like some of the ideas being thrown around, but especially being an online game, we need to be careful not to get too crazy with the rules and how to play. It needs to be simple enough that anyone can pick it up fairly quickly. Not everyone has a lot of TCG experience. I know I personally was more into collecting cards than playing them so I do not know much about how these games work. As one of my professors always says - less is more. Start leaning toward the simple side, then add things in. I think it would be wise to get a simple battle system in place, like how will attacks and health work and then build from there.
"The experiment is nearing its conclusion. The Enrichment Center is required to remind you that you will be baked, and then there will be cake."

#8 Ethan

Ethan

Plant Dragon

• Members
  • 140 posts

Posted 27 August 2012 - 02:33 PM

Posted Image
Posted Image

Live long and prosper

#9 Ethan

Ethan

Plant Dragon

• Members
  • 140 posts

Posted 29 August 2012 - 09:23 AM

perhaps to summon hybrid monster you must sacrifice to dragons of which element match,
e.g To summon a star dragon you must sacrifice a earth and electric

Posted Image
Posted Image

Live long and prosper

#10 Devin

Devin

Friendly Psychopath

• Administrators
  • Others: Awarders, DC Experts, Designers, Editors, Members, Moderators
  • 1,292 posts

Posted 29 August 2012 - 06:44 PM

@Ethan, That card looks awesome, One suggestion though, make the words a little easier to read :P

I personally think that we should use a mix of in game dragons as well as our own dragons as the point of this site is to be about the FB game.

That's a pretty great idea, I know we have a lot of talented artists on this site that would love to do that!

I think there should be a tier system. Might make it a bit more complicated, but let's face it - some dragons are stronger than others. What is the point of having a legendary if they don't have more health to show for it?

We could probably just use the same tier system as DC, and if we add our own dragons to the game we can just put them in tiers that seem appropriate for that specific dragon.

I like some of the ideas being thrown around, but especially being an online game, we need to be careful not to get too crazy with the rules and how to play. It needs to be simple enough that anyone can pick it up fairly quickly. Not everyone has a lot of TCG experience. I know I personally was more into collecting cards than playing them so I do not know much about how these games work. As one of my professors always says - less is more. Start leaning toward the simple side, then add things in. I think it would be wise to get a simple battle system in place, like how will attacks and health work and then build from there

Couldn't have said it better myself :P

f9una.gif

#11 Ashley

Ashley

Site Owner & Server Host

• Administrators
  • 1,216 posts

Posted 29 August 2012 - 10:25 PM

I think so, too.

we need to be careful not to get too crazy with the rules and how to play. It needs to be simple enough that anyone can pick it up fairly quickly. Not everyone has a lot of TCG experience.

Yes, but we do need to code this system. And so we programmers need to know how to build this actual game. That's the main reason I'm trying to get this information compiled.

As one of my professors always says - less is more. Start leaning toward the simple side, then add things in. I think it would be wise to get a simple battle system in place, like how will attacks and health work and then build from there.

Absolutely. This is what my programming instructors have always said as well. It's especially true when coding and that is how we'll do it.

perhaps to summon hybrid monster you must sacrifice to dragons of which element match,
e.g To summon a star dragon you must sacrifice a earth and electric

Interesting. More thoughts on this?

#12 Ethan

Ethan

Plant Dragon

• Members
  • 140 posts

Posted 30 August 2012 - 12:48 PM

Once you have perfected the game on this website you could design to the iPhone, possibly?

Also, if the idea to sacrifice dragon to form hybrids doesn't work you could make a fusion/breeding card to create hybrids
Posted Image

Live long and prosper

#13 Sharky

Sharky

Mud Dragon

• Members
  • 45 posts

Posted 30 August 2012 - 05:25 PM

I like the ideas going around, I"d just suggest that in the spirit of being a cartoon/pokemon-like game that we not call it sacrificing. We could call it some kind of mating or fusion or, who knows, but sacrifice is a little dark to me for a game like this.
"The experiment is nearing its conclusion. The Enrichment Center is required to remind you that you will be baked, and then there will be cake."

#14 Ashley

Ashley

Site Owner & Server Host

• Administrators
  • 1,216 posts

Posted 30 August 2012 - 07:32 PM

Once you have perfected the game on this website you could design to the iPhone, possibly?

Absolutely but we do have to beware of copyright issues when considering this. We may have to use only unique dragons for an iPhone game.

#15 Ethan

Ethan

Plant Dragon

• Members
  • 140 posts

Posted 31 August 2012 - 04:12 AM

True, i like the idea of the same game but different dragons it would definatley be a big hit
Posted Image

Live long and prosper

#16 arqueboy

arqueboy

Earth Dragon

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 31 August 2012 - 09:12 AM

i can help with rules i used to be an advanced magic player, and judge in tournaments in my country.

#17 DragonRay

DragonRay

Cloud Dragon

• Members
  • 96 posts

Posted 05 September 2012 - 04:26 PM

Kinda new here but I find some discussions really interesting. Hope you guys don't mind if I join in :P

Question: I assume this Virtual Card Game Discussion is the Dragon City Game. Here are my ideas.

Dragon Cards - I think there should be 4 types of Dragon Cards.

> Basic Dragon Cards (With 1 Element)
> Hybrid Dragon Cards (With More Than 1 Element; Hybrid Rare Dragon Cards Included; Poo Dragon Included)
> Legendary Dragon Cards
> Pure Dragon Cards

Habitat Cards - How about adding something into this? Like making Habitat Cards like 'Field Cards' or 'Stadium Cards'.

Example:

Earth Habitat Cards - Increase Maximum HP By 10% Of All Dragons With Earth Element (Including Hybrid Dragons With Earth Element).
Legend Habitat Cards - ?
Pure Habitat Cards - ?

Restoration Cards - We can have something like the following examples.

Minor HP Restoration Card - Restores 500 HP.
HP Restoration Card - Restores 1000 HP.
Large Restoration Card - Restores 2000 HP.

Support Cards - In many trading card games, there are often cards for fusing purposes. Such can be applied here too.

Example: Breeding Mountain Card - Fuses 2 Dragons For X Number Of Turns (Fusing Dragons Cannot Attack Or Be Attacked).

Food Cards - A specific dragon should only be allowed to gain one level per feeding attempt.

My over-all comment, reaction, or suggestion about this, it is better to work on card structures first before the actual game procedures and rules. The card designing would probably be last.

Ray

#18 Raiu4444

Raiu4444

Water Dragon

• Members
  • 31 posts

Posted 06 September 2012 - 03:07 PM

The Immaterial dragons should be added as i said i can explain everything that there is to them
Posted Image

#19 Ashley

Ashley

Site Owner & Server Host

• Administrators
  • 1,216 posts

Posted 06 September 2012 - 04:10 PM

i can help with rules i used to be an advanced magic player, and judge in tournaments in my country.

Help us out :).

Dragon Cards - I think there should be 4 types of Dragon Cards.

> Basic Dragon Cards (With 1 Element)
> Hybrid Dragon Cards (With More Than 1 Element; Hybrid Rare Dragon Cards Included; Poo Dragon Included)
> Legendary Dragon Cards
> Pure Dragon Cards

I agree.

Habitat Cards - How about adding something into this? Like making Habitat Cards like 'Field Cards' or 'Stadium Cards'.

Example:

Earth Habitat Cards - Increase Maximum HP By 10% Of All Dragons With Earth Element (Including Hybrid Dragons With Earth Element).
Legend Habitat Cards - ?
Pure Habitat Cards - ?

Yes that's a good idea.

Restoration Cards - We can have something like the following examples.

Minor HP Restoration Card - Restores 500 HP.
HP Restoration Card - Restores 1000 HP.
Large Restoration Card - Restores 2000 HP.

Sounds good.

Support Cards - In many trading card games, there are often cards for fusing purposes. Such can be applied here too.

Example: Breeding Mountain Card - Fuses 2 DragonsFor X Number Of Turns (Fusing Dragons Cannot Attack Or Be Attacked).

Interesting!

My over-all comment, reaction, or suggestion about this, it is better to work on card structures first before the actual game procedures and rules. The card designing would probably be last.

Ray

Knowing how the game will be played will help us know how to make the cards. It could go both ways, we can make the card structures and use those to make the procedures and rules. We can also make the procedures and rules and base the structures off of that.

Not sure which is really the better way.

#20 DragonRay

DragonRay

Cloud Dragon

• Members
  • 96 posts

Posted 08 September 2012 - 01:11 PM

I am excited for the result of this virtual game plan :P